Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hello There

I think this is now the eighth blog I've started. But, hey, I'm a writer, so it's basically compulsive. So, why am I now writing a blog about writing? Because I've only been at this a few months and I've been wildly successful and failed miserably a dozen times over. There's a lot of material here! I'm mostly working from home, alone, so I don't have anyone to learn from, gossip with, rant to, or help out, and I want all that. If that's the case with me, then I can only assume that's what it's like for everybody. So, I'm hoping this will be somewhat of a virtual water cooler. If you're a writer too, then come on in and join me. If you're thinking about being a writer, well, I'm going to be brutally honest, so maybe you'll learn something.

And now, a little bit about myself. I just graduated from Emerson College in Boston, which I think is an amazing writing school. I was a year early (thank you APs!) so I waved goodbye to all my friends and moved to Brooklyn on the assumption that a contracted position at an iPhone app would continue to run full-time. My dream is to land a steady job at a magazine while continuing to freelance on the side. Right now, I'm just freelancing...at places that pay me shit and have little to no hours. I'll be starting a fashion internship at an amazing magazine in a few weeks but it is, of course, unpaid. I also just finished the first draft of a nonfiction book and am thinking about actually trying to get it published.

I'll be writing about the pros and cons of freelancing, the trials and tribulations I go through, tips and tricks I've picked up along the way, and any other stories that strike my fancy and will hopefully strike yours. Feel free to chime in!

See you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment