Monday, August 9, 2010

Creating a Workspace

Before a few months ago, I hadn't used a desk since I had dial-up and had to be tethered to the wall in order to go online. Even when one was provided for me in dorm rooms, I always preferred to sit on my bed. I didn't have one in my room at all in my apartment for the last year of school. But when I knew I'd be moving to the city, something didn't sit right with me about the idea of a professional writer conducting her business from her bed. So, I bought a desk. And I vowed to actually use it.

My rule was going to be that whenever I was writing for work that I would sit at the desk. This rule has already been broken a handful of times, but usually I'm good and actually follow through. (Like now, for example. I knew it would be far too silly to write about the importance of writing at a desk curled up under my blankets.) The key is to make your workspace enticing. Create an area that's comfortable, inspiring, pleasing to the eye. As in, make it a place you actually want to be and work in.

One of the toughest parts about working at home is battling cabin fever. As much as an everyday job can suck sometimes, at least it's a routine excuse to get out of the house and go somewhere different. We don't have that luxury. In fact, I'm assuming that most people don't even have a separate room to call their office. Instead, "going to work" means going off to that corner in the studio, living room, or bedroom. I'm about four feet away from my bed, and maybe one foot away from my dressing area. But, somehow, whenever I'm sitting at my desk I do feel that it is a separate entity in my room, and that I'm in a much different environment than when I'm on my bed. Most importantly, I like being here. I'm surrounded by things that I enjoy. It's probably the area that has the highest concentration of things that make me happy in my whole apartment (aside from my closet, that is). Here it is:


1. This is my clock. It is an hour behind. I never changed it from daylight savings time because I rarely use it to see the time. I have my computer/watch/phone to do that. It's there mainly for the aesthetic, and because I really like the sound of a clock ticking. Most people hate that sound, but I find it really soothing.

2. When I moved into my first apartment, I expressed the desire for "big girl art." This meant that it was framed, and it wasn't just a print or a poster. My best friend's mom got these for me for my birthday, and they eventually wound up in my hands right before I moved here. I like them because they make me feel sophisticated and adult. The ladies in the picture are very fashionable and glamorous, which is what I want to be. It reminds me of the lifestyle I want to have, and who I'm usually writing for.

3. This is my bookcase. I plan to paint it sometime soon because it's not very attractive. It has one of my awards in it to pump my ego, my trusty Totoro to watch over me, reference books, notebooks and the books I've enjoyed enough to purchase and tote around with me. It's often been helpful to stare off into space in their direction, which leads to me thinking about them, and then helps me direct my writing or think of an idea. 

4. This is my snazzy to-do basket. There isn't much to say, but I figured it needed an explanation.

5. This is a wind-up brain that my dad gave me as a stocking stuffer. I keep it there because I think it's hilarious, and it's somehow extremely useful to wind it up and watch it walk around my desk as I'm thinking. I suggest everyone gets one.

6. These are my initials in antique printing press blocks. I've been on the hunt for these for a year, so when I finally found them at the Brooklyn Flea I was thrilled. I'm a fan of antique anything, but I'm especially obsessed with letterpress. I love the aesthetic and the values it has. I find it inspiring.

7. On a more technical note, a good printer is a must. This is a Canon MP160 and I've been very happy with it for years. It has a scanner and copier in it too, which I have made use of a hundred times. The scanner is particularly useful for freelance writers who tend to conduct business digitally. There will be plenty of times when you'll need to scan in your signature, or a copy of your ID for paperwork. It simply doesn't make sense to not get an all-in-one like this!

8. These are postcards of covers of amazing retro pulp fiction novels. They're ridiculously funny and, again, they come from a period that I find inspiring. In case you can't read them, their titles are Tender Hearted Harlot, Loves of a Girl Wrestler, and Fleshpots of Malibu

9. All of the desk organizers I found in stores were awfully utilitarian, so I decided to make my own that were cheerier. I got three sheets of coordinating craft paper in fun patterns, and then simply used Modge Podge to paste them onto old jars of assorted sizes. 

10. This is a squirtgun. There's a kitten in my apartment, and she likes to jump up on the shelf and bat at my earrings. This used to be effective until she started fighting back.

Not pictured, but oh so important: A memo pad. Definitely necessary. 

If you make your workspace inviting, you'll be much more moved to actually sit down and get to business. It's all about the inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment